Monday, December 3, 2007

The Most-Hated Congressman: Murtha

"Tell Michael it was only business." (The Godfather)

Let me tell you a story: When I worked as a communications executive at Gulf Oil, my boss said about one senior executive: "Nobody likes him [Harold Hammer]." I said, "Oh, I've worked with the guy and I kinda like him."

My boss looked at me and said, "Oh, Maloney, you don't count. You like everybody." Yikes -- he found me out.

I don't like Congressman John Murtha. I'm extremely hostile to the man. I've said I believe he has "blood on his hands." The blood I'm referring is that of American servicemen and servicewomen who are fighting an al-Qaida force that Murtha has never to my knowledge criticized. In his gratuitous comments about the Haditha Marines, he inflicted great damage on individuals (and their families) who apparently were guilty of nothing more than doing their jobs.

So, how should one react to such a person. Yes, he's a hero to some people in Johnstown, PA, but why? On the night of November 16, I rode by that city's "John Murtha Cancer Center." The thought occurred to me that John Murtha had contributed as much of his own money to the facility as I had -- nothing. For that "gracious gesture," some people believe they need to do the equivalent of kiss the man's . . . ring.

People ask me: "Maloney, you who like everyone -- save Murtha of course -- where do you find all those bloggers to oppose Murtha and support Lt. Col. Russell? Well, if you subscribe to Google Alerts for blogs about Murtha, you find the following:

Google News Alert for: John Murtha Blogs

CNN Under Fire For Debate Questions U.S. News & World Report - Washington,DC,USA John Murtha, a leading war critic, said this week "he saw signs of military progress during a brief trip to Iraq last week, but he warned that Iraqis need ...See all stories on this topic

Rep. Murtha finds that surge is working and falsely claims he ...Power Line - Minneapolis,MN,USAJohn Murtha, having returned from a trip to Iraq, acknowledges that the US military surge is working. Murtha also reports that the morale of the ...See all stories on this topic

Friday's Mini-ReportThe Carpetbagger Report - USA When Jack Murtha was quoted yesterday saying that the "surge is working," it sparked all kinds of interest. As it turns out, that isn't what Murtha actually ...See all stories on this topic

Google Blogs Alert for: John Murtha Blogs
Murtha Backpedals from his Backpedaling on Iraq By Ferdinand T Cat Quite frankly, I don't care if the Iraqi government does everything Murtha wants. I don't even want the US government doing everything Murtha wants. In fact, I think that not listening to John Murtha is the key to making this world a ...Conservative Cat - http://www.conservativecat.com/

Shocker. John Murtha 'I think the Surge is Working' Bill's BlogH/T: Bill Amos; McClatchy Watch Anti-Surge politician now declares "the surge is working" Nov 29, 2007, 7:57pm: Bill's Blog has the story of John Murtha's analysis of the surge. Bottom line: Murtha now believes the surge is working. ...shoutingmat.ch (political) - http://political.shoutingmat.ch

Murtha Quote About the 'Surge' Was Completely Misunderstood.By mklasing Well as many bloggers now know, US Representative John Murtha stated yesterday that after his trip to Iraq, he now thinks that "the 'surge' is working." See (Murtha: Surge is Working) This from a man who has stated in the past that we ...Murphy Klasing's Conservative Blog - http://mklasing.wordpress.com

Murtha 'clarifies' his comments on the surgeBy media@politico.com (The Crypt) TOP 10 Blogs - http://www.politico.com I Was Against the Surge, before I Was For the SurgeBy Urban Conservative Once again, liberal scum John Murtha has changed his position about the recent surge in Iraq. With all do respect to the former Marine; because I also served 8 years in the Corps — how can anyone be proud to be a democrat with this type ...Conservative Blog: Urban Conservative... - http://www.urbanconservative.com

In short, finding bloggers who can't stand Murtha is about as hard as finding cats that say "Meow."

No other congressman in the U.S. --and no Senator -- evokes the kind of hostility Murtha does. The Bloggers are livid about the man's behavior. Heck, the MSM is even growing tired of his bombast and contradictions.

Many people think the man is totally self-absorbed. He seemingly thinks preserving his House seat is more important than protecting American troops. Is there evidence to the contrary?

He hands out hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to companies that return the favor with tens of millions in political contributions. Hey wait, wouldn't that mean Murtha was financing his extravagant campains with OUR tax dollars. As Murtha would say, "That's the way we do business here." It stinks.

The Prince of Pork, as I said the other day, is becoming a Human Pig-Sty. Would I shake the man's hand? Not unless I was wearing gloves. He's becoming radioactive. He's a disgrace to the institution of Congress.

In a way, I don't envy Lt. Col. William Russell. He has to run against this barbarian. To William I say, "If you're ever in the presence of this odious critter, wear gloves -- and leave as quickly as possible."

Many people vote for the man out of fear. They're afraid Johnstow, sans Murtha, would start looking like Nineveh and Tryre. They open their mouths and he stuffs in a taxpayer-funded pacifier.

I hope to write more about what John Murtha has done for Johnstown and Cambria County, and I assure you that it's not much. He's done a lot less for other 85% of the district, much of which continues to look suspiciously like Appalachia on a bad day.

Yeah, Murtha may be unbeatable. But it's frightening what people like him do to the democratic process.

No comments: