Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Iraq Soldiers Reenlist: Friend's Letter

Why don't you spend your time during tonight's debate with fellow McCain-Palin Supporters in a chat room? Come to http://votebitter.com. If you'd like a classic "Sarah: Guns and God" tee-shirt, you can get one (or more) by clicking on the image to your right.









I sent my young friend, Rhandi, from Corpus Christi, Texas, copies of the pictures above of U.S. soldiers reenlisting en masse in Baghdad. She replied with a heartfelt letter about her experience as a young army wife. It touched me greatly, and I hope it will also touch you.



Steve,


You have me in tears. I don't know how I missed this, but thank you so much for the nice little "shout out." My husband has served nearly 8 long years in the military (including 2 deployments - 1 being a consecutive 2 together, and the later being the whole first year of our marriage). He, too, reenlisted in Baghdad. He will be in for as long as he can - only 12 years until retirement is an option, which at that time he will be 39 years young.

It's amazing when I think about the things I've sacrificed simply to be with him (leaving my comfort zone, families, and friends, attending a new school, and trying to start and continue life in a whole nother state, a whole nother atmosphere), but even more amazing still is the dedication and sacrifices I've seen him and other men and women like him, including friends, make for the better of our whole society.

My best friend from Portland, TX is marrying a marine in December, who is also thinking about reenlisting for the sole purpose of believing in what we're doing and what our country stands for. He planned on going in for four years and getting the heck out, but now that it's come down to it - he is pretty close to staying in for at least 1 more enlistment. This man has a college degree and is one of the most educated, intelligent young men I know. I wouldn't want men and women of any less of caliber as he and my husband out there fighting for us. Just goes to show that pretty much every stereotype I've ever heard, and may have repeated, about our men and women in uniform is extremely wrong. :)

In the household I live in (and run :wink:), we support McCain. In the household I came from, they support McCain. In the households I've visited in my recent trip to Texas, we support McCain. I hung out with a BIG, BIG group of young adults (ages 20 to 24) and we were amazed by the fact that we could all agree on the same presidential candidate. Yes, politics did not get ugly between our group, and it seemed to only strengthen our beliefs, knowledge and united front regarding the future president of our country.




I've never seen so many young people get involved and feel this strongly, but going back to Texas made me proud to be where I was from, and even prouder to be apart of the friendships and relationships I have there, and with other fellow political followers. When that big of a group of young adults can get together and continue to have a good time speaking about political elections and candidates without all hell breaking loose and a big confrontation, you've got to know that something good is going on, and something great could be happening.

I'm with you 1000% Steve. As is my husband, best friend and her fiance, who is currently deployed, plus the many, many others that I know - soldiers and civilians alike.

Thank you for sending out this email and including my family and I in it. Eric's been home since June and I'm still in tears when it comes to these types of things.

Thanks for all you do and more,
Rhandi

No comments: